Tuesday, September 28, 2010

Seeley, CA to Quartzsite, Arizona

We have added these photos to update the blog entry you may have already read.  Hope you can figure out the sequence, but it doesn't matter if you can't.
On Sept 26, these guys (Capt Ernesto, Wes, and Jose) rescued us from a hot day and made us feel like we were the most important people in the world.  As we were looking for a cool library, we passed the fire station and noticed an ice machine inside.  Not finding anyone around, we helped ourselves to some ice and water.  Someone then showed up and it turns out the fire chief, Ernesto, wants to ride across the U.S. when he retires.  Showers were taken in the station before they took us for lunch in the big fire truck and we sat in his air conditioned office the rest of the afternoon until the day cooled a bit and then went another 15 miles.  This day was our most, 72 miles total!

A road kill we found along the way.  Big guy, at least three feet long.  ID someone?  Joe?

There two pictures (above and below) are of the "Wall" that you hear so much about between us and Mexico.  It goes for miles and miles and reportedly cost one million dollars a mile.  Interesting site.

This part was written Sept 28 in Quartzsite, AZ.
We has a serious day yesterday. The temperature was 110 degrees in the shade and we had a 70 mile ride across a stretch with very limited assistance from Brawley, CA to Blythe, CA. We knew we could not make it as the distance was to far and we could not ride in the heat past noon. We finally decided to take a bus to Blythe then pick up the missed section at another time. The bus station was in El Centro 15 miles back the same way we had just come. Catching a transit bus to the station worked but it was an adventure with all our panniers. At the bus station, the lady said we would need a box to ship the bikes and they didn't have any boxes. She sent me around the corner to a bike shop, but it was closed. No way were they going to let us put our bikes on the bus without boxes. A new biking friend we had met along the way, John, called and suggested we try to find a ride with someone with a pick up. The only person we knew was Jim, the Warm Showers Host we had stayed with the previous night. We called him and he said I'll be there in 30 minutes. So, off we went across the desert. We wound up spending the night with John, who is a faster biker and did manage to bike the 70 miles from 6am-1:30pm, sharing his hotel room as there were no other rooms available (actually it was not that the rooms were full, but that the season has not begun yet and no more rooms were made up), We left this morning at 6 a.m. and biked to Quartzsite where we are again sharing a small trailer with him. It's hot, hot, hot so much that we can't even think of biking past noon. Maybe it will cool off in the next few days. The library is closing. Time to go!

No comments:

Post a Comment